Saturday, September 8, 2007

Powerful to the Peaceful

I joined a group of fellow seminarian friends for a wonderful day down in the Golden Gate Park at the 9th annual Powerful to the Peaceful concert event. I was only told that the Indigo Girls were playing, and that it was free, which was enough to get me down there. There were tons of anti-Bush, anti-media, free-thinking, organic produce, contact yoga demonstrations, and hippies galore! If I had any doubt that I was in California, and perhaps more pertinent, the Bay Area, there is none now: Looking around me (hopefully pictures will come from a friend), I told myself I had officially arrived in San Francisco.

Some more thoughts... what does it take to make peace? Must one be antagonistic towards war supporters at the expense of turning them into war-mongers? Is there such thing as democratic voice after people are elected, or must we wait until the next round of voting? Can all people afford to buy recycled or organic products? Or is it just another fashion statement?

These thoughts and others left me with lots to chew on as I adjust to living on the "Left" Coast.

No comments: