Thursday, September 6, 2007

Community Organizing: For What Purpose?

Tonight was my first class at Berkeley through the GTU: Pastors as Community Organizers. I've had some experience before with organizing in Washington, D.C. when I was an intern at Church of the Pilgrims. However, this model is under PICO rather than IAF, with a focus on anyone can be a leader in their community - it's just a question of encouragement and how. I'll have more details soon as I begin the reading for the class.

For now, though, I'm struck by how many people are coming into the class from active ministries in their communities. From pastors to elders, from urban to suburban, from American to South Pacifcers, I am struck by how much raw experience these folk bring into the class. It makes me feel very humble, as I come into the class without a specific ministry or community to which I'll be returning. I have some experience, like in D.C., along with youth work and missions, but I feel very disconnected from how I will use the knowledge in this class.

I came to seminary not really knowing how God will use me when I graduate. I suppose even if I did know, it would change over time. Even so, it's hard not to get anxious about what lies ahead in the future - more so when I think of all the people who are supporting my studies here. After all, this profession is different that others: We are being trained to serve others, and secondly to support ourselves. I'm struggling to see how my present "investment in myself" is going to benefit others.

And so I turn my eyes toward the hills, in search of something greater than I can fathom.

"Oh ye of little faith..."

No comments: