Friday, August 31, 2007

Entering Thoughts

During this week of orientation, I have been blessed with many good conversations and food for thought. At the heart of it all is the question, "What does the Lord require of me?" I pray for determined patience as I ask, seek and knock for God's answer.

In budgeting, we learned a few helpful principles. It is helpful to distinguish between a want and a need, or as it was re-phrased, what comes "before me" and what comes "after me." We were warned that the Marin lifestyle, of cute boutique shops, eating out and fancy cars, can not only be seductive but also destructive. Also, scholarships are an act of faith in you, the recipient. It might be for something you've done, but it's really for your service in the future. This last thought was a particular challenge to me, as I feel particularly blessed with the financial assistance I have received so far for seminary.

I also met Ruth, who is from Kenya! We spoke some Kiswahili with each other and were both much encouraged to make an unexpected connection.

I even found myself in my first theological discussion at seminary, talking about how the academic theology of the university is not addressing the social-political theology coming from grassroots ministry. Ramon, who brought the idea to my attention, believes there needs to be a dialogue between the top-down approach of academics with the bottom-up approach of social justice movements. I agreed, pointing out there was much power-sharing that was needed to allow others to sit down at the table as equals.

All in all, I have been pleasantly overwhelmed with all of the great food, stimulating conversation, and spirit-moving worship of this opening week! As I allow all of these thoughts to enter my head, I pray I will open my heart up to the spirit's movement in all that is happening.

No comments: