Monday, December 20, 2010

How to Save a Life

I've always liked the Fray's How to Save a Life.  [Note: I try not to link to music videos and just the music/lyrics, as the images burn in my head and I no longer use my own imagination about what the song might be about.]  The song is apparently about trying to help someone who is addicted to drugs.

In this Christmas season, I'm wondering and praying over what does it mean for Jesus to be born.  Gabriel tells Mary she will give birth to a son and to call him Jesus according to Luke (1:31), and Matthew says his name will be Jesus for he will save the people from their sins (1:20).  Jesus is related to Joshua, or the one who saves.  Yes, I agree Jesus us saves us from sin, but I find that answer sometimes too trite, having lost its meaning over time in Christian jargon.

I had a breakthrough interpretation the other day, in part from watching Heroes: Season 4: When a life is saved, the course of history is changed.  Now, that's kind of obvious when you think of individual's history.  Then there's that age-old question of, If you could travel back in time and kill Adolf Hitler before he rose to power, would you do it?  That would certainly alter history.

But when we use other Christian phrase, 'born again,' it better captures the significance of what it means to save a life.  "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live [...] but Christ lives within me."  (Gal 2:20).  Now I live in the light of Christ who saved me from myself... from the world... from death... from ____.

What have you been saved from?  Who or what has saved your life?  There's a story to share.  Share it with someone who cares just as deeply as it affects you.

No comments: