Saturday, December 18, 2010

Dead Already

The opening theme to the movie American Beauty is called "Dead Already" by Thomas Newman.  For the record, I really like his stuff.  I had a recent revelation that I'd like to share you (cyberspace).

Now, it's no secret that Kevin Spacey's character is dead when the movie starts, and we find out the how/why/when/who/etc. as the movie progresses.  Yet here is my perhaps-not-so-groundbreaking-theory: the very-much alive Stacey we see throughout the movie is, actually, already dead: dead to ambition, to his true life's purpose, to living life the the full.  Can we say the same about ourselves or someone we know?  What would it take to 'wake them up inside' that they might no longer move dream-like through their 'waking life'?

As with much of American Beauty, there is dual-imagery and multiple interpretations for its myriad of themes.  It deserved the AA Best Picture award, and it deserves more in-depth commentary here.  But that's all I have time for right now after writing my Tron piece.  I'm hoping that writing a post about a movie made 10 years ago is honor enough in itself.

No comments: