Monday, September 22, 2008

Meaning of the Gospel

Today in my New Testament: Paul class, we discussed what is meant by the various references to "gospel" in the NT. Gospel, in greek, is "euhangellion," which is generally translated as "tidings of joy." But to know exactly what joy we're speaking of, we add "Gospel of" ... Jesus Christ, God, etc., or "Gospel according to" ... Matthew, Mark, Luke and George. (Of course it's John, but if four accounts, then why not more? less?)

As many a professor and pastor have professed to me, and I concur, it is a good thing we have four accounts or vantage points. (I'd still like to see that movie, Vantage Point, despite the reviews.) This leaves us room for interpretation, treating the text more as literary rather than as literal. In this way, we are not disrespecting the bible but, in fact, are taking it most seriously - in all its multiple meanings and application. For a text to be great, it needs to make allusions and references that have many meanings, and point to a truth beyond itself (see Shakespeare, Greek Tragedy, etc.). The same goes with the Bible.

So what is "gospel"? Or what do we mean by "gospel"? Is it entirely focused on the life & resurrection of Jesus Christ? Would the gospel be true without the resurrection? (for Paul, probably no; he emphasizes death and resurrection heavily, especially in Galations) Is it only a matter of opinion, to a varying degree?

I think it’s more than that – perhaps we need to deconstruct what we mean in order to reconstruct another’s meaning… we assume too much that what we’re talking about or what we mean mean is what the other person is talking about… or means.

As my former roommate put it quite humorously, "I said what I meant. In fact, I meant what I said." If only we knew what he meant... or said.

What does the Gospel mean to you?

No comments: