Sunday, December 28, 2008

All That Has Ever Been Hoped For

Sometimes I ask myself why I'm in seminary. I think it's a good question to ask, however scary. One of Emily's friends is in law school, doesn't enjoy it and is struggling. I enjoy seminary a lot and feel quite comfortable here, but the question of "why seminary?" can quickly lead to "so what are you going to do next?"

Recently, I have been leaning more towards seeking out a teaching role rather than a pastoral role. Not only does the idea of being a role model for high schoolers and teaching them how to think with more nuance excite me, but also having so much more contact time with them than the average parish ministry. I'm interested in community building and teaching people not to just deconstruct their world but also reconstruct

In the meantime, I'm in Seminary, wondering why I'm here, "searching for the living among the dead." I found this post to have a very thoughtful answer:

“I'm searching through all that has ever been hoped, in praise of what can never be known.”

In praise of always searching and never knowing,
yet ever hoping.

No comments: